It’s warm for a majority of the year in our area, so it’s important to have the resources to stay cool on a hot day. But it’s just as important that we run our cooling systems efficiently year round, in order to help the environment, keep costs low, and extend the lifespan of our heating systems. In today’s post, we offer a list of some of our favorite tips to help you save money on your cooling bills without giving up your comfort.
- Use the ceiling fan while you are in the room only. While the ceiling fan can’t actually cool down a room, it does help with air movement so that you feel cooler. This means you may be able to raise the thermostat, since you might feel just as comfortable at a warmer temperature. However, make sure you turn it back off when you leave the room.
- Keep the thermostat around 78°F. Many experts recommend 78°F as an efficient but comfortable temperature to cool down a home. Keep it at this setting while you are home and raise it by 10°F when you are away.
- Seal your ducts. Most home’s air ducts leak, and the energy used to cool the air escapes with it. Sealing the ducts can increase the AC’s overall efficiency by 20% in some homes.
- Close the drapes. Try to limit the amount of sunlight that enters your home.
- Replace the thermostat. Upgrade to a programmable thermostat if you are still using an outdated manual unit and learn how to use it to automatically turn off when you plan to leave the home.
- Change the filter each month. A dirty air filter can cause operational problems that significantly decrease an air conditioner’s efficacy and increase energy usage.
- Schedule HVAC maintenance. Routine maintenance visits can improve the performance of an air conditioner, bringing it to peak efficiency levels with a standard cleaning and an adjustment of some of the mechanical and electrical components.
For more helpful advice or AC services in St. Augustine, FL, give AC Designs Inc. a call. We will deliver above your expectations!